Thursday 14 May 2009

Stags, clouds and eagles



Now this pic isn't quite as straightforward as it may seem. Seems a bit dull at first, until you click and enlarge. Right in the middle of the ridge on the horizon, is a stag. I hope you can see it.


Have a funny feeling I may have posted this pic before, but I don't care, I like it. There's a certain symmetry about the sky and mountain that I really like. You could almost turn it upside down.



..... and look what arrived today. I'm now member 15195 of the Cloud Appreciation Society. How feckin cool is that. If you're very, very good I may show you my badge too......
I didn't see any eagles the day I saw the stag, but I might have :



The Dalliance of Eagles
by: Walt Whitman (1819-1892)

Skirting the river road, (my forenoon walk, my rest,)
Skyward in air a sudden muffled sound, the dalliance of the eagles
The rushing amorous contact high in space together,
The clinching interlocking claws, a living, fierce, gyrating wheel,
Four beating wings, two beaks, a swirling mass tight grappling,
In tumbling turning clustering loops, straight downward falling,
Till o'er the river pois'd, the twain yet one, a moment's lull,
A motionless still balance in the air, then parting, talons loosing,
Upward again on slow-firm pinions slanting, their separate diverse flight,
She hers, he his, pursuing.
For more Skywatch Friday posts and other tenuous links click here


10 comments:

  1. Wow! You are, like, so totally wicked cool, dude!

    I've got badge envy now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! A stag -though far away, still, unmistakeably a stag. I've never managed to capture the deer in our neck of the woods (could be something to do with the hounds - ahem!) Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monarch of the Glen stuff ;-)

    I see what you mean about the symmetry of the clouds and the hills.

    Still haven't managed to watch the Cloudbusting programme I recorded. You've reminded me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see the stag! How fabulous! Gorgeous shots, beautiful words, marvelous clouds! Thanks! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see the monarch of the far away glen. Nice mountain and cloud shot too.

    Just found your Corrieshalloch Gorge photos. We were there last summer and my head had a hard time getting to grips with that bridge! My knees and stomach got involved when I tried going out on the viewpoint further down the path. My fear of heights (or, more correctly, drops) seems to get worse as I get older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you let us know to look for the stag. It's a great picture and I would have missed it if you hadn't pointed it out. As for the second picture...I haven't seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I enlarge the first photo... well worth it to see the solitary stag on top of the hill... I also love it when the blue sky peeks out like that ~Maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both very nice but that first pic is awesome with the stag!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photo with the stag in it, is really cool !!!

    I really like the second photo as well ... very nice.

    Congratulations on your award !!!

    ReplyDelete