Thursday 7 May 2009

We're Cloudbusting Daddy


a Torridon


b North Sea from Arbroath


c Carnoustie seen from Arbroath


d Car park beside my work in Arbroath


e Dundee from the Law Hill


I watched a really good documentary last Sunday night on BBC 4 called 'Cloudbusting'. It was presented by a guy with the unlikely name of Gavin Pretor-Pinney. Now I realise that this name may be familiar to some of you 'cloudy' types, but I just wanted to pay my own small tribute to the guy and his aims and perhaps point some of you who've never heard of his society in his direction.
In 2005 Pretor-Pinney decided to set up his own Society called the Cloud Appreciation Society, simply because he liked clouds and felt they were a tad under appreciated. This is the manifesto of the Society :

WE BELIEVE that clouds are unjustly maligned and that life would be immeasurably poorer without them.
We think that they are Nature’s poetry,
and the most egalitarian of her displays, since everyone can have a fantastic view of them.
We pledge to fight ‘blue-sky thinking’ wherever we find it. Life would be dull if we had to look up at
cloudless monotony day after day.
We seek to remind people that clouds are expressions of the atmosphere’s moods, and can be read like those of a person’s countenance.
Clouds are so commonplace that their beauty is often overlooked. They are for dreamers and their contemplation benefits the soul. Indeed, all who consider the shapes they see in them will save on psychoanalysis bills.
And so we say to all who’ll listen:Look up, marvel at the ephemeral beauty, and live life with your head in the clouds.


It costs about five British Pounds to join and for that you get your own little piece of paper with your own personal membership number on it.
He's written a couple of books, so although I realise that many of you won't be able to watch the programme, you may be able to read the books.

So in homage to the guy for a bit of blue sky thinking, I've posted five of my favourite sky pics. Feel free to categorize, favouritise, criticise or just ignore. The choice is yours.

His point really made me realise that no matter where you may be on this planet, if you look down you have a pretty good chance of seeing some shit, look up and you have a pretty good chance of seeing some beauty. Seems like a simple choice to me.
For more Skywatch pics click here




















10 comments:

  1. Lovely series of Scottish shots. Last time I was on Law Hill was over 30 years ago. We rode from Strathkinness late at night to see Dundee in the moonlight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're all gorgeous shots and I do love the comment regarding looking up and looking down! I do so agree and that's why I spend so much time looking up and taking shots! Thanks for sharing them all and the info! Great post for any day! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are beautiful photos. I love the golden view.
    Have a nice weekend
    Mary Elizabeth @ Now and Then

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've certainly done your fair share to promote cloud appreciation! I appreciate you sharing your pictures. They are superb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos. Especially the eerie shot of the silvery North Sea. And thanks for that link - I'm gaining new appreciation for clouds every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful post, Neil. :-)

    (bcaed)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Nature's Poetry', what a lovely idea! Lovely photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We recorded 'Cloudbusting', but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I'm joining!

    Great series of shots here - showing that we do skies rather well in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd prefer to look up and see the beauty of the sky, not down below to see those trash you were talking about.

    These pictures have so much to give. Looking at all of them, makes me think how blessed we on earth are and what are we doing with all the messes we are causing to mother nature?

    Gavin Pretor-Pinney is right when he said, clouds are Nature's Poetry. I believe him so, probably because I love nature so much. But thanks to my dear late mother too who nurtured me to take interest of our surrounding, our creation even on small matters.

    May I copy the manifesto? I always request to copy if I find it very interesting.

    Please have a look!

    My Blog Comment

    ReplyDelete