Tuesday 9 February 2010

My Eucalyptus Is Floppy


Oo'er missus......

Now the link may be tenuous here, but given that I'm essentially seeking advice about my floppy Eucalyptus tree...... I thought you might be interested to know that Men At Work are currently being sued for plagiarism.
Their stunningly crap song 'Down Under' is the subject of this lawsuit. The estate of the writer of the original 'Kookaburra Sits In The Old Gum Tree' is suing them over the use of the little flute part in the song. The claim is for millions.....
Men At Work may have to dust down their overalls......




......But to the main point of this post. My floppy Eucalytus Tree. I planted it about 2 years ago and it has rocketed up. I remember at the time I planted it thinking, hmmmm.......should I stake it to prevent it from getting blown over...... Google time..... the advice was NOT to stake it as doing so would weaken it's natural resistance to wind and this would ultimately lead to a stronger tree.




Now it may be a reaction to the particularly harsh winter we've been having......but all doesn't appear to be well with my Aussie companion.





Question is for all you green fingered blogmates.....and I know you're out there......
Wtf do I do with the poor dude?
Should I wait for Spring and the natural surge of sap to reinvigorate ol' Euco?
Or should I take drastic action and saw him/her in half?
Or should I get a bloody great stake and give him/her some much needed support?




Over to you my greenbloggybuddies.........

For more My World Tuesday posts click here

8 comments:

  1. Oy. I like that song! great hummalongable...also used to sing Kookaburra song. Maybe its a Common Wealth thing that we know these things in every corner of the globe..everything that is except how to take care of a floppylytus..can't help you there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, i like plants but i don't know much about them. Anyway, i do hope your floppy eucalyptus's condition will improve or you might have to do some google time again:)
    My world entry is here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't know if I'm green-fingered, but that 'floppy"lyptus needs some help until spring!

    keep warm!
    …now a follower!

    We live in a very beautiful world!
    Come and visit me sometime!

    have a great day!
    xoxo,
    Fickle
    Red is in the air in Bagiuo City

    ReplyDelete
  4. well yu should cut it back NOW or spring, they kind of frow like weed and dont have to keep maintaining them so doesn't matter when you gonna cut it... but it you cut it back now they'll be nice in spring time.

    As for the men down under - funny how they only been sued this time after all those many years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My advice would be to cut it back by a third or even a half, otherwise it will continue to gallop skywards - or sideways in your case. We did that with ours as it was rapidly attaining 60' and the prettiest leaves are the new ones before they get leathery and we grew ours for the leaves. Eventually we cut it down completely but that's another story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not convinced that ol' Euco is flopping.... more like cringing and trying to get away from that mess of chicken wire, vines and grasses!

    :-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can kill a yucca in a week. I'm told by people who know about these things that's quite an achievement. My advice would be to get chuckies :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh I've never met a man with a floppy eucalyptus before. We lived with Aboriginals in Northern Territory for a couple of months a few years ago but I did not see one floppy Euc. My brother (who lived out there) liked Bundaburg Rum which made him very floppy. Enough of my ramblings, I agree with Janice, it needs cutting back.

    ReplyDelete