Wednesday 15 April 2009

Murroes and Tealing Church

Now I'm not a religious person, I don't go to church and I don't worship anyone, unless my football team are doing particularly well (which they're not). However, I do like a good church. And this is one of those. I never even knew this church existed until Saturday when I was at the garden centre and I glimpsed it through the trees. it's Murroes and Tealing Church.
I also happen to like a nice piece of stained glass. Now these are perhaps not the best examples, but for a simple country kirk I think they shine.

I was initially wandering around outside snapping away, and I noticed the door open. So I did what any nosy eejit with a camera would do and went inside. There was a woman 'doing the flowers' and I think I shortened her life considerably when I said ' Hello, mind if I take some photos?' Now I can understand her anxiety when a guy with a camera appears on a Saturday afternoon, but to be honest, to describe her reaction as frosty would be an understatement. I tried to explain that I was simply a lover of churches and an amateur photographer but it really didn't cut any ice with her. I snapped away as quickly as I could and left, but couldn't help thinking, no wonder your feckin' churches are empty!



Impressive Proddy pulpit or what?



This was the killer for me...... in the top pic you see this from the outside. Wow..... some difference when viewed from inside, now I'm colour blind, and red and black together do my head in, but even so this to me is incredible.



12 comments:

  1. I'm as religious as yirsel, Neil but this is indeed a wee stoater. Frosty proddy flower arrangers tho? Hmmm.....our fair wee nation suffers a superabundance of such types. Acht well, i'm sure she bakes a barry scone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that last shot of the round stained glass window is beautiful...hearts and flowers
    lovely little church despite the sourpuss lady arranging the flowers.
    have a good thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog, really great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirk, stoater and barry. Naldo's chipping in!

    That is a sweet little church with one skookum window. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skookum, Ms Toast Burner? May one surmise from context that this is a good thing?

    Looks like an Inuit word to me (only cos it's vaguely like 'anorak').

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm saying nuthin' 'til I figure out stoater.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not religious either and I love a good church. Some lovely photos, Neil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stoater comes from the verb to stoat which means to bounce (as in to stoat the baw). So a stoater is literally a bouncer or erm....a right good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And here's me thinking 'weasel-like', lol.

    Skookum, comes from Chinook (an indigenous language in BC and Washington State) and means a right good thing and is also a word for Sasquatch/Big Foot... who'd make a skookum stoater, so it all makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful pictures, I enjoy everyone of them

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aha! And to think they named a helicopter after the language which gave us skookum. Boogers.
    Ta for that lingo info.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Murroes Church Member27 August 2011 at 20:49

    Please come to our open day! 17th September 2011 as part of Dundee Doors Open Day...
    http://www.doorsopendays.org.uk/opendays/area_programmes.aspx?areaid=10

    ReplyDelete