Saturday 17 October 2009

Luskentyre, Harris

If you're not too busy, come with me for a wee stroll down to Luskentyre beach on Harris. The weather's fine, not too cold, not too windy, in fact pretty darned good for October.....





This is the path leading down towards the beach where a burn finally makes it out to the sea.....



Looking back up towards the little car park.



It really is a remarkable place. The sand is so unusual.... feels like you're walking on demerera sugar. You can take a handful and squeeze it tight and it stays in a perfect impression of your clenched hand.



I'd love to see what it looks like during a storm.......



And also what it feels like on a beautiful summers day.......




Takes a bit of beating as a picnic spot though. Pity I didn't have any sammiches.
The hills in the distance are the Island of Taransay.
For more Scenic Sunday posts click here











11 comments:

  1. I enjoyed all your photos, the beach is such a pretty scene. Definitely my favorites for today. Thanks for sharing your lovely scenic Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful: "feels like you're walking on demerera sugar." What bliss. I love the wee waterfall coming off the bolder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although i lived on Skye for a time, i never got round to exploring Harris. So, this has been a real treat for me. Thank you for sharing your visit with us. Lovely images, both in words and photographs. Your blog is wonderful. Lizzy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos, Neil.

    Harris looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sea, sand, mountains and sky - the essences of the Outer Hebrides! Did you visit Lewis? My folk are from there - these pictures make me want to go and visit again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was really enjoying taking this lovely walk with you until you announced NO SAMMICHES. Get real Neil and remember the flask as well. what an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Neil
    Fancy going for a walk and not taking any sarnies with you lol
    I think sand like that would be good for making sand castles - try it if you go again
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog is very enjoyable and your pictures are really lovely. I really enjoyed my visit and will be back for more.
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love them all but especially the 4th one. I have had the joy of a hot summer day on a deserted beach on South Uist. I have also had the joy of a hot summer day on a deserted beach in Jamaica. It's a close call which I'd return to first based solely on transport...

    Me + 8 hours on a CalMac Ferry = Magnitude10 Fear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh, you have some gorgeous images here! Dreamy lovely.
    Spirithelpers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos Neil. Chris D, New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete