Saturday 25 April 2009

Arbroath to Auchmithie






Started off at Arbroath Cliffs today. Not the safest place on the planet. Many go there to jump and others go to slip and fall. See the face?



There's a two mile or so path between Arbroath and Auchmithie. Needless to day I took the main road in the car. I did it when I was 16 so I can't see any reason for doing it again.





Once in Auchmithie, you see this sign. No indication of what is is other than a but n ben.



In fact it's one of the most popular restaurants around. The seafood is amazing.







A quaint wee place if you got rid of the cars.


I include this poem just because I like it :

Variations On A Theme By William Carlos Williams by Kenneth Koch
1I chopped down the house that you had been saving to live in next summer.I am sorry, but it was morning, and I had nothing to doand its wooden beams were so inviting.2We laughed at the hollyhocks togetherand then I sprayed them with lye.Forgive me. I simply do not know what I am doing.3I gave away the money that you had been saving to live on for thenext ten years.The man who asked for it was shabbyand the firm March wind on the porch was so juicy and cold. 4Last evening we went dancing and I broke your leg.Forgive me. I was clumsy and

I wanted you here in the wards, where I am the doctor!
Email This Poem to a Friend





No idea what this is, but it's unusual. Furnace of some sort.....where they burnt the witches?








These are the cliffs at the other end..... much the same as the one's at the Arbroath end.......you get my point?








And one for the ladies.The age old question? What's he wearing under the kilt?........

For more Scenic Sunday posts click here








9 comments:

  1. I just love that top photo, Neil and that furnace thing, I'm dying to know what it is.

    "The age old question? What's he wearing under the kilt?........"

    I can't answer that as I've run out of horse puns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did they burn witches around this delightful area, it looks far too peaceful for such a horror?
    It is a strange furnace thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, beautiful Scot! The place, the buildings, the little road, the Topmost picture that I love the most, the piper, the wharf (jetty), the lovely house, the humorous lil poem and of course Susan Boyle (lol). I love Scots on the rocks.

    Seriously, the topmost picture looks like a human face sculpture. Can you see the forehead, the nose and the mouth? Abstract sculpture by nature overlooking the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOu captured them beautifully. Have a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isnt it a smoke house? for Arbroath smokies?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh.. Scotland. It's my dream to visit this country.
    And your photos doesn't help - They only make me go there even more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could be right Mog. Funny thing is, I've arranged to go to a 'real' Arbroath Smokie shop this week, to take some pics. He might be able to tell me.

    Thank you all for your comments, and thank God you've run out of horse puns Marnie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. From the best online Scots dictionary I've found (http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/index.html) ...

    ben = adv. In or towards the inner part or end of a house, etc. But and benn: see But

    but = adv. In or towards the outer part or end of a house or other building.
    b. But and ben, in (or to) both the outer and inner parts. Also transf., abroad and at home; everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Neil, I live in Arbroath and I'm sorry to say, the furnacy thing is no more than than where the villagers used to draw water from, and where they used to burn witches, Ah! that's another story, enjoyed your photography, nice work.

    ReplyDelete