Saturday 18 April 2009

Glen Clova and Chris Marlowe

This is for you Sarah.





















Was at a bit of a loss as to what do today, so just got in the car and drove. Found myself up Glen Clova again. Took a pic here in January from almost the exact same spot. The burn was frozen then, what a difference a few months can make. The stones are nearly bleached with the sun.
I stopped for a light refreshment at the Clova Hotel. How the hell this place makes any money is beyond me. But it's a cracking wee place. The log burning stove was going full pelt, the rugby was on the telly and I got chatting to the barman, who, believe it or not, turned out to be a part time bee-keeper! So I've arranged to go take some pics of his hives..... watch this space.



The second top pic I like the best, it seems to me to show spring in the highlands at its best. What you think?


The top pic is where I want to live. Can you imagine waking up to that every morning.

For more Scenic Sunday posts click here
The Passionate Shepherd to His Love
Come live with me and be my love, And we will all the pleasures prove That valleys, groves, hills, and fields, Woods or steepy mountain yields. And we will sit upon the rocks, Seeing the shepherds feed their flocks, By shallow rivers to whose falls Melodious birds sing madrigals. And I will make thee beds of roses And a thousand fragrant posies, A cap of flowers, and a kirtle Embroidered all with leaves of myrtle; A gown made of the finest wool Which from our pretty lambs we pull; Fair lined slippers for the cold, With buckles of th purest gold; A belt of straw and ivy buds, With coral clasps and amber studs: And if these pleasures may thee move, Come live with me and be my love. The shepherds' swains shall dance and sing For thy delight each May morning: If these delights thy mind may move, Then live with me and be my love.
Christopher Marlowe (1564- 1593)

14 comments:

  1. Great series of photos! I especially like the last one. Makes me want to get out hiking again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first photo below the Scenic Sunday banner is my favorite. The mountain dwarfs the buildings, giving us viewers a great sense of size and depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful place. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous country there!!! I'd love to live anywhere around there with all that grandeur, even if it's a drive away. Your photos represent the countryside very well - I love it!

    I'm adding your page to my favorites list so I can come back more often to see your country! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will- Get out there mate. Good for you!

    Bryan - The pic doesn't really do justice to the surrouding scenery. Can't imagine what it must feel like to wander out into the garden first thing in the morning with a coffee and see what sort of day it's going to be.

    Steve - This is only 25 miles from the coast.

    Tricia - Missouri eh? - 'a drive away' for you guys is probably hundreds of miles. This drive took me about 25 minutes! Thanks for adding my page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can almost smell the fresh air, beautiful.

    Only 25 minutes! You lucky man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice to live so close to the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flowers with vibrant yellow colors are fantastic, I love the mountain and the river photo. They are wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like a great place to take photos and the daffodils are just too beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  10. We don't even have to cross borders now to see fantastic places like yours. Those boulders there remind me of My Childhood Refuge, a poem I wrote in memory of my own childhood. And aha! You also featured my favourite poet Christopher Marlowe. May I repost that to my poetry blogspot at http://parchedandpaper.blogspot.com? Thanks because I'll not wait for your approval. hehe. Sorry for being cheeky.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful place you live at. I love the view of the mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. just love the photo of the branch with a black mountain in the background!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the second shot - the large mountain dwarfing the house and forest. Glen Clova - I'll need to go there sometime, it looks so peaceful, and I'd love to meet the bee keeper! Thanks for your really kind comment earlier too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent photos. Really nicely done
    Thank you for sharing, great photoblog :)

    ReplyDelete