Tuesday 14 April 2009

Rescobie Loch






Took these within ten minutes of each other at Rescobie Loch back in January I think. It was freezing and you can just make out the ice on the two bottom pics. 
Rescobie lies about two miles to the east of Forfar and I pass it every day on the way to work. Now that the fishing season has started, I often see cars parked in the most unlikely places. Right in the middle of nowhere. At first I couldn't figure this out, as you can't see the loch from the road. Then it dawned on me that they park their cars by the side of the road and walk across the fields to the loch. 
I see the cars now on the way to work and think.....lucky buggers!

For more Watery Wednesday posts click here

I also came across one of the most depressing Spring poems I 've ever seen..... don't see why I should suffer it alone.......


Spring

To what purpose, April, do you return again?
Beauty is not enough.
You can no longer quiet me with the redness
Of little leaves opening stickily.
I know what I know.
The sun is hot on my neck as I observe
The spikes of the crocus.
The smell of the earth is good.
It is apparent that there is no death.
But what does that signify?
Not only under ground are the brains of men
Eaten by maggots.
Life in itself
Is nothing,
An empty cup, a flight of uncarpeted stairs.
It is not enough that yearly, down this hill,
April
Comes like an idiot, babbling and strewing flowers.







8 comments:

  1. The shots of the boats are great! The ice is quite interesting, too.

    But the poem...that leaves much to be desired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and serene photos. I love the thin ice melting into the sun-reflection.
    Thanks for the good night poem :) - quite an angry person, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice set of pictures. Very calm and serene waters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful watery shots! the first photo is my favorite. the author probably got hives in spring.:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it makes a change from 'April is the cruelest month..'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to wonder at the state of life for the writer of this poem...
    The shot of the boats gathered is wonderful. Looks like we both got some ice on water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you framed these and I love the way you used the light. These are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, as you know this area I was wondering if it is possible to walk along the path of the old railway line that is on the south side of the loch. On the map there seems to be a gap where the line stops and then starts again a little further on. Any help would be appreciated as I am looking to do a walk from Forfar to Montrose using the old lines as much as possible and I don't know the area at all.

    ReplyDelete